Wednesday, October 7, 2009

San Jose

So, I feel like I have been to San Jose often enough that I can write about it. Being that I love the city, it is hard for me not to like San Jose. I just really like the bustle, noise and energy of a city, and being that normally I would be in Mount Vernon right now, I am more than happy to be in a city. The first couple times I went, I enjoyed it simply for the reason that I got to be in a city. But after the first couple times, it got a little old. How many times could you look at the same church, or the same theatre, or go to the same artisan market. The answer is not many.
But last saturday, almost everyone decided to climb a mountain. Now, I have had the experience of hiking up a few mountains, and I hated it every time. Needless to say, I did not want to walk up a mountain just for the thrill of it. It's just not my cup of tea. So instead of hiking, my friend and I decided to go to a museum in San Jose, under "Pigeon Park." Now, I've never been to Italy, so I don't know how many pigeons are in St. Mark's Square, but what I can say is that there are more pigeons here that I have seen any where else. Anyway, we went to the Gold Museum. It's called the Gold Museum because it has a bunch of old gold artifacts from the natives of Costa Rica. It was really interesting. After that, we had planned to go to the National Museum, but by the time we found it, it was closed. The street it was on though was really lovely. It had really old pretty houses, and it was on this wider brick road. When Sarah and I looked down the street, we saw a coffee shop.
Now, I feel like I should take this opportunity to explain that Sarah, Emily (two friends here) and I have been looking for a good coffee shop since we got here. It's harder than you think. We found the easy coffee shop (good coffee but not a lot of atmosphere,) but we were hoping and searching for atmosphere, and we finally found it, not a stones throw away from the Museum. Also, at the end of this same road, there was a really pretty park.
By the time we had sufficiently explored that area, it was about 6 o'clock, and was pretty dark. It was beautiful. The city was starting to light up, and there were street performers that weren't just clowns (which there are a lot of.)
When my mom talks about Cleveland, she will often say that if you're bored, it's your own fault, and I'm starting to get that impression of San Jose. We went to the theatre about a month ago, and it was wonderful. I've also been to artisan and food markets. Between all of these experiences, I can hardly wait to see what else this city has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment